Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Ask Our Experienced Accident Lawyers for Help If You’ve Been Injured
Small and maneuverable, motorcycles are many Californians’ vehicle of choice. While their size may be helpful when it comes to moving through traffic, motorcycles are much more dangerous than passenger vehicles when it comes to accidents.
If you or someone you love has become one of those victims, our Sacramento motorcycle accident attorneys want to help you learn more about your legal rights. Del Rio & Caraway is available 24/7 at (916) 229-6755 to answer your questions.
Why Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
When a negligent driver causes an accident, anyone who is injured has the legal right to file a claim with the at-fault driver's insurance company. Motorcyclists especially must not miss this opportunity, because they are likely to suffer devastating injuries that accrue high medical bills and force them to miss work as they recover.
Some insurance adjusters take advantage of this position, trying to push for a quick resolution with a low settlement. Before you sign anything, or even speak with them if possible, reach out to Del Rio & Caraway, P.C.
Our Sacramento motorcycle accident attorneys can:
- Help you understand the worth of your claim
- File any necessary paperwork and meet all deadlines
- Collect evidence to support you claim such as police reports, witness statements, and accident reconstruction
- Negotiate a higher insurance settlement than you might receive on your own
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Like any roadway collision, there are numerous factors that can play into a motorcycle accident. However, in a multi-vehicle collision involving a motorcycle, the other driver is more likely to be at fault.
It’s easier to miss a small bike than a full-sized car or truck. Additionally, drivers are more likely to underestimate the speed of an approaching motorcyclist. They may pull out in front of a biker who has no time to properly react.
Motorcycle accidents can happen due to:
- Distracted drivers
- Drunk drivers
- Mistakes made in intersections
- A driver turning into a motorcyclist’s right of way
- A car opening its door into a motorcyclist’s path
- A defective vehicle part
- Inadequate maintenance
- Poor road conditions
After a serious accident, you may not fully remember what happened and who was to blame. This is when having an experienced team of Sacramento motorcycle accident attorneys on your side is especially helpful. We know how to investigate accidents and can gather evidence explaining and clarifying liability.
Serious Injuries Mean Significant Medical Bills
Motorcyclists are not provided any form of protection in motor vehicle accidents, other than their own clothing and a helmet. As a result, most motorcyclists will end up with life-altering injuries that require extensive medical treatment.
Some of the most serious injuries suffered by motorcyclists include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): Even with a helmet on, motorcyclists are much more likely to suffer a severe injury like a TBI compared to drivers of passenger cars in a crash of the same intensity. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are actually 35 times at greater risk for catastrophic injury in a crash than other motorists.
- Spinal cord injury: Being thrown off a motorcycle will drop the rider right onto the road harshly. Landing flat on their back can cause a spinal injury, possibly resulting in paralysis.
- Permanent disfigurement: Motorcyclists are at risk of permanent disfigurement in a bad accident. Most commonly, road rash can occur and causing significant scarring. If the scars located on a typically visible body part, then it is possible to seek compensation for the emotional trauma caused by the permanent change of appearance.
- Fatal injury: Thousands of motorcycle accidents result in a rider’s death each year in America. When a rider suffers a mortal injury, surviving family members can file a wrongful death claim in pursuit of compensation on behalf of the decedent.
To treat a catastrophic injury, extensive medical care will need to be provided to the motorcyclist hurt in the crash. Emergency transport to the hospital, which might include helicopter transportation depending on the severity of the injuries, are just the beginning of medical costs. Medical procedures in the hospital are likely to include intricate surgery. Afterwards, an extended stay in the hospital is likely, as is rehabilitative therapy for months or years to come.
It's crucial that you receive proper treatment for your injuries, even if you fear the mounting costs. Our motorcycle accident lawyers at Del Rio & Caraway, P.C. can help you get the money you need to cover these expenses and other losses.
Steps You Can Take to Help Your Claim
If you've been involved in a motorcycle crash, it's important to document everything you can about the crash. Photos of tire marks, damage to your bike and the other party’s car, and your visible injuries can be compelling evidence. If there are any witnesses, ask for and save their contact information.
Even if you don’t think you were too badly hurt, we advise you to see a doctor who knows how to evaluate accident victims. Because you are more likely to be injured than walk away free after a motorcycle accident, it’s important to take time for your health. Some of these injuries could cause high medical bills and lasting symptoms. We want to help you gather and preserve the evidence needed to make a strong claim for your damages.
Contact a Law Firm You Can Trust
If you are hurt in a motorcycle accident, the resulting medical costs and other damages, such as lost wages and vehicle replacement, should not be your financial burden. The party responsible for your crash should be the one to foot those bills.
Call (916) 229-6755 to connect with Del Rio & Caraway, P.C. and our Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney. Using our extensive experience with liability law, we will pursue every last penny of compensation you deserve.
Learn more about your rights and options by scheduling a free consultation with our Sacramento motorcycle accident attorneys. We’re available any time at (916) 229-6755.