Man driving car using his manufacturer-installed GPS system.

Is Using My GPS Considered Distracted Driving?

The Dangers of Distracted Driving

When most people think of distracted driving, the first thing that comes to mind is probably texting and talking on the phone. However, using a GPS in the state of California could be considered distracted driving under the law. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving is one of the top causes of fatal car accidents in the U.S. Here's what the law states about using GPS to navigate on California roads.

What is California's Distracted Driving Law?

In January of 2017, California added operating a GPS while behind the wheel to its distracted driving laws. Californians are not permitted to drive while “holding” or “operating” wireless devices. However, using a hands-free voice-operated GPS while driving is allowed.

Hands-Free Exceptions

The law contains an exception for activating and deactivating your GPS device. You are permitted to use your hand to turn your GPS device on or off, as long as it takes only one tap or swipe. The GPS device must also be mounted on your dashboard or in your car's center console.

Manufacturer Installed GPS Systems

If you have a GPS installed in your car, the law does not apply, and the exception covers all embedded vehicle systems.

Injured in a Car Accident? Contact Del Rio & Caraway, P.C.

Sustaining an injury after a car accident can be a harrowing experience, especially when caused by a careless distracted driver. Not only are you worried about recovering from your injury, but you may also be concerned about medical bills and other care related to your accident. We understand that it can be a taxing experience, especially when you aren't sure where to turn for help. Know that you are not alone and Del Rio & Caraway, P.C. is on your side every step of the way.

Don't fight the insurance companies alone after a serious car crash. Contact Del Rio & Caraway, P.C. today at (916) 229-6755 or send us a messageto discuss your case.